I’m sharing with how to make silky and luxurious pastry cream or you may know it as creme patisserie. It’s a perfect filling for eclairs, profiteroles, donuts, tarts and pastries and it’s not too difficult to make.
Equipment for this Recipe
- 4 Large Egg Yolks (or 5 medium egg yolks)
- ⅓ Cup | 65g Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1½ Cups | 375ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl. Using a whisk beat the sugar and yolks together until doubled in volume - about 3 minutes. Add the flour and whisk until combined.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and place over medium heat until it just starts to come to the boil. While whisking the egg mixture slowly stream in the hot milk.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over low heat. Using your whisk, mix continuously until the pastry cream is thick.
- Place the pastry cream into a clean bowl and add the vanilla, mixing to combine. Cover the pastry cream with plastic wrap so it doesn't form a skin and cool completely before use.