There’s nothing more comforting and delicious than a homemade apple pie. Flaky pastry, sweet apple filling and spiced cinnamon served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1⅔ Cup | 200g Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2-3 Tbsp Sugar (optional)
- ½ Cup | 1 Stick | 115g Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Ice Water
- 5-6 Apples
- ½ Cup | 100g Sugar
- ¼ Cup | 30g Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Add the flour, salt and sugar if using to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Use clean dry hands to rub the butter into the flour until it resembled sand.
- Spoon in a few tablespoons of ice water and mix the pastry with a knife.
- Form the dough into a ball and knead for 30 seconds on a floured surface until smooth.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples and place into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and lemon into the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the pastry into two and roll each into a large disc.
- Place one disc of pastry into a pie dish and cut off any excess leaving about an inch of over hang.
- Pour all of the apples and any juice into the pie dish and top with the second pastry disc.
- Cut off any excess pastry and use your fingers and thumb to create a decorated edge.
- Place the pie into the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake the pie in a 200C | 400F oven for 45-50 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to cool for an hour before slicing and serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Make sure to let the pie cool for around an hour. The pie is best served warm so the filling doesn't fall out when cut.
Roll out any left over pastry and cut out leaves with a small knife to decorate the pie.