I’m sharing with you how to make incredibly delicious Classic Chocolate Eclairs. French Choux Pastry filled with pastry cream and topped with chocolate ganache. You haven’t tried a perfect Eclair until you’ve had a homemade one, these make a delicious dessert!
1 Stick / 113g Butter
1 Cup Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Flour
4.5oz / 125g Dark Chocolate
1/4 Cup / 65ml Heavy Cream
How to make Classic Chocolate Eclairs
Add the butter, water and salt to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until boiling.
Add in the flour and mix over medium heat for a few minutes until smooth.
Mix the eggs in one by one until you get to the dropping consistency. This is when you pick up the choux pastry dough with a wooden spoon and after a few seconds it falls off in one clump. Watch the video for info!
Pipe the Eclairs onto a lined baking sheet and place into a 220C/420F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up.
Make the Pastry Cream and Chocolate Ganache.
Fill the Eclairs with Pastry Cream and dip them in Chocolate Ganache.
Ready to serve!
These Eclairs are best eaten the day they are made, thats when they’re the freshest and most delicious! These can be made in advance if stored correctly. The unfilled Eclairs will last in an air tight container for 2-3 days but make sure they are unfilled. Filled Eclairs should be served within 30-60 minutes for best results as they do start to soak up the moisture from the pastry cream or whipped cream. If you are making these in advance I would recommend to make the eclairs and dip them in the chocolate ganache. Store them in an airtight container until you are ready to serve them. When serving fill each with previously made pastry cream or freshly whipped cream! Voila! Perfect Chocolate Eclairs. Any extras or leftovers make perfect treats in the freezer, just let them defrost for 15 minutes before eating.
Equipment for this Recipe
- 1 Stick / ½ Cup / 113g Butter
- 1 Cup / 250ml Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup / 125g Flour
- 5 Eggs
- Pastry Cream
- 4.5oz / 125g Dark Chocolate
- ¼ Cup / 65ml Heavy Cream
- Add the butter, water and salt to a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to the boil.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and combine the ingredients together. Continue to mix over medium heat for a few minutes until the dough comes together in a ball and stops sticking to the sides of the pan. Transfer to a mixing bowl and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 4 of the 5 eggs in one at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Test the batter for the dropping consistency (see notes) and add the last egg gradually if needed.
- Add the dough to a piping bag and pipe 8cm or 3 inch long lines on a lined baking sheet. Place the Eclairs into a 220C/420F oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache, heat the cream until it just comes to the boil. Pour it over the chocolate and leave for 5 minutes. Stir the ganache to incorporate the melted chocolate and cream until smooth.
- To make the Eclairs use a knife or piping tip to create to holes in the Eclair. Pipe full with Pastry Cream or whipped cream. Dip the Eclair in the Chocolate Ganache and leave to set for a few minutes.
When piping the Eclairs use water on your finger to round out the edges if they are messy.
You can fill the Eclairs with so many different fillings. Pastry Cream is traditional or for an easier option freshly whipped cream works perfectly.
These Eclairs will last unfilled for 2-3 days in an airtight container. Only fill them 30-60 minutes before serving as the Eclair will soak up moisture from the filling and become soggy.