The best Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe – It’s rich and decadent so you’ll only want a small slice but you won’t miss the flour in this naturally gluten free dessert. Made with just 5 simple ingredients, it’ll become your new favorite dessert!
This Chocolate Cake recipe is dark, rich and delicious, surely to hit any chocolate craving. It’s naturally gluten free which means there are no substitutes or different ingredients than you would usually have in your kitchen. The texture is smooth and almost fudge like which makes it the perfect decadent dessert.
Rich and Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake
It only takes minutes to whip up and a little longer in the oven and best of all it can be made in advance and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it. Serve the chocolate cake with freshly whipped cream and raspberries if they are in season, trust me when you have a slice of this you’ll want to make this cake alllllll the time!
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe Ingredients
2 Sticks / 225g Butter
- Salted or unsalted butter can be used here. I recommend adding a pinch of salt if you are using unsalted butter as it helps round out the flavors.
18oz / 500g 60-70% Dark Chocolate
- Strong dark chocolate adds really great flavor here but 30-50% can be used for a less rich cake.
- Yes you do need the 7 eggs in this recipe. If you would like to use less I would recommend halving the recipe instead.
1 Cup / 200g Sugar
- Sugar can be replaced for another sweetener to make this cake sugar free or keto friendly.
1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
- Vanilla or Almond Essence can be used here to flavour the cake. Espresso Powder also works really well!
Watch the video below for step by step instructions for how to make the most delicious Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
How to Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
In a heat proof bowl add in the butter. Cut it into a few pieces so it can melt faster.
Cut the chocolate into small pieces and add to the bowl with the butter. Place the bowl over a saucepan on medium heat filled a few inches with boiling water.
While the chocolate and butter is melting crack 7 eggs into a bowl. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature, if you store them in the fridge just remove them an hour or so before you start baking.
Once the chocolate and butter have melted together remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
Measure out the sugar and place it into the bowl with the eggs.
Beat the eggs and sugar together using a stand mixer or a hand mixer until they have almost tripled in volume and become light and fluffy. This is what gives such great texture to the chocolate cake.
Pour the melted chocolate and butter mixture into the beaten eggs and sugar half at a time, waiting until the chocolate has fully combined before adding the next half.
Finally add in the vanilla or almond essence or any other flavoring that you are using. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and give one final mix to make sure everything is evenly combined.
Pour the chocolate cake batter into a lined and greased 8″ or 20cm springform cake pan that has been wrapped in foil. Place the cake pan into a larger pan and fill with boiling water until it reaches half way up the cake pan.
Place the cake into a 160C / 325F oven for 25-35 minutes or until the edges are starting to look set. When you remove the cake from the oven it will look completely undercooked but don’t worry, as it cools it will continue to set.
Cool the cake completely in the cake pan before placing it into the fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours to set. Dust the top with powdered sugar and it’s ready to serve!
Equipment needed for this Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- The eggs and sugar need to beaten together to incorporate air. You can do this by hand but a hand mixer or stand mixer makes this job much easier and faster.
- To measure the ingredients for this recipe measuring cups or a digital scale can be used. I have given the amounts for both as different people have different preferences.
- A springform cake pan works really well to remove the chocolate cake. A larger or smaller cake pan can be used instead but the baking time will vary.
Common Questions about this Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
Can I make this sugar free?
Yes you can. Just replace the sugar with sweetener or if you don’t want the cake to be sweet and more rich you can leave the sugar out. This is a great option for making a keto friendly chocolate cake or if you have specific dietary requirements.
Do I need to add that many eggs?
Yes you do, eggs are what provide the texture, richness and smoothness to this cake. Trust me the cake wont taste eggy or anything at all!
Can I add other flavoring to the chocolate cake?
Yes! Almond essence, espresso powder, orange zest or liqueurs are all great options that make this cake even more delicious.
For more Chocolate recipes check out:
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 Sticks Butter
- 18 oz Dark Chocolate 60-70%
- 7 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar see notes
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence see notes
- Melt the butter and chocolate together over a simmering pot of water or in the microwave until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with a stand mixer, hand mixer or whisk until light, fluffy and almost tripled in size.
- Add the cooled melted butter and chocolate to the egg mixture in halves, whisking well in between until fully combined.Add the vanilla to the chocolate cake batter and give a final mix to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into a lined 8" or 20cm cake pan which has been wrapped in foil on the outside. Place the cake pan in a larger cake pan or roasting pan, half filled with boiling water and bake the cake in a 160C/325F oven for 25 - 35 minutes. It will still look completely under baked here.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely in the pan, followed by overnight or at least 6 hours in the fridge before serving.