Crumbly shortbread, sweet salted caramel filling and topped with dark chocolate, this Millionaires Shortbread definitely lives up to its name.
Equipment for this Recipe
- 1½ / 160g Sticks Butter
- ⅓ Cup / 65g White Sugar
- 2 Cups / 250g Plain Flour
- 1 Tin / 400g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¾ Cup / 150g White Sugar
- 1 Stick / 110g Butter
- 2 Tbsp / 50g Golden Syrup (can be substituted with Honey)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1-3 tsp Flaky Salt
- 5oz / 150g Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp / 30ml Oil
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until smooth and combined. Add in the flour and switch to a wooden spoon or silicone spatula and fold together until the mixture starts to resemble wet sand.
- Line an 8" or 20cm square baking pan with non stick paper and pour in the shortbread base. Using a metal spoon of flat cup press the base down into a flat even layer.
- Bake the shortbread base in a 160C/320F oven for about 35 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown. It will be soft but will continue to harden as it cools. Let it cool before starting the caramel.
- In a medium sized saucepan add the butter, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and golden syrup. Heat over medium to low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously. When the mixture starts to turn golden remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before adding the vanilla and salt.
- Pour the caramel into the square baking pan on top of the cooled shortbread base. Tilt the pan so the caramel fills in all the corners and place into the fridge for a few hours to set completely.
- Melt the chocolate and oil together over a water bath or in the microwave in small bursts until smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and leave to set in the fridge for a few hours.
- Remove the Millionaires Shortbread from the baking pan. Peel back the nonstick paper and cut into about 12-16 even slices.
For normal caramel only add 1 tsp of salt, for more of a salted caramel add between 2-3 tsp.
Keep the sliced Millionaires Shortbread in a sealed container in the fridge.