You can’t go wrong with this Pecan Pie recipe, it turns out perfect every single time. A sweet caramel filling bursting with pecans in a buttery flaky crust, you won’t be able to stop at just one slice!
Watch the video tutorial below for how to make the best Pecan Pie
Simple Pecan Pie
Pie makes the perfect dessert and this Pecan Pie Recipe is no exception. The perfect mix of sweet caramel flavour and pecans pairs so perfectly with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
The best part of this pie is it can be made in advance, making the perfect pie recipe for dinner parties!
Make it up to a few days ahead and keep it in the fridge until about an hour before you want to serve.
Homemade Pie Crust
One of the most intimidating aspects of pie is making pie crust or pastry.
You can follow my recipe here for a no fail pie crust or just skip the hassle and use store bought. It’s completely up to you, do whichever option is the easiest!
Pecan Pie Recipe Ingredients
1 2/3 Cup / 200g Flour – Standard all purpose flour
2-3 Tbsp Sugar – Sugar is optional for this pie crust. As well as add a small amount of sweetness it also helps with browning and crispiness.
1 Stick / 113g Butter – Make sure your butter is cold out of the fridge when you make pastry or pie dough.
2-3 Tbsp Ice Water – Fill a small bowl with a few ice cubes and add a cup of water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before using.
Pecan Pie Filling
1/4 Cup / 55g Butter – The butter needs to be melted for this recipe so there is no need for it to be room temperature.
1 1/2 Cups / 300g Brown Sugar – Brown Sugar adds a delicious caramel flavor to the pie but white sugar can be used instead.
1/2 Cup / 125ml Corn Syrup – Corn Syrup, glucose syrup and golden syrup can all be used. Dark corn syrup or golden syrup add more of a caramel flavor.
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1/2 tsp Mixed Spice – Mixed spice is optional but it adds a warming flavor, cinnamon can be used instead.
2 Cups Pecans – Roughly chop the pecans so there is a variety of size, this works well for texture in the pie. Reserve a few whole pecans for decorating the top of the pie.
How to Make Pecan Pie
Measure out the butter and place into a small bowl.
Melt in the microwave or alternatively use a saucepan on the stove top. Pour into a larger mixing bowl.
Measure out the brown sugar and add to the bowl with the melted butter.
Measure out the syrup and pour it into the mixing bowl.
Add in the vanilla and mixed spice (optional)
Give the ingredients a good mix together with a wooden spoon.
The heat from the melted butter should soften the syrup, making it easier to combine.
Crack in one egg and mix the pecan pie filling together until the egg is incorporated.
Continue with the next two eggs, mixing until combined. It’s easier to add one egg separately to loosen the batter making it easier to combine the next two.
There are three different option for pie crust.
You can make you own following this recipe, buy store bought so you only need to focus on the filling or buy pre made frozen pie crust and roll it out yourself.
The crust should be 1/2 cm or 1/4″ thick. Place the pie crust in the pie dish and cut off the excess pastry. Use your thumbs and finger to decorate the edge of the pie crust.
Pour the roughly chopped pecans onto the base of the pie. Save a few whole pecans to decorate the top.
Pour the pecan pie filling over the pecans and decorate with any of the saved pecan.
Place into the lowest rack in 180C / 350F oven for about 50-60 mins.
The crust doesn’t need to be par baked as it will cook at the same rate as the filling. Just make sure you place the pie in the bottom half of the oven so it is closer to the element.
Common Questions about this Pecan Pie Recipe
How do I make Pecan Pie without corn syrup?
You can make this pecan pie recipe without corn syrup. Swap the corn syrup for glucose syrup, golden syrup or maple syrup. The pie does need some sort of syrup as well as sugar to hold it together.
How do I store this Pecan Pie?
Keep the Pecan Pie in the fridge until about an hour before you are going to serve it. It will keep for 2-3 days but I would recommend making it the day before.
Do I need to make my own Pie Crust?
Definitely not. Store bought pie crust or frozen pie pastry will work perfectly fine! I enjoy making my own so I usually do but if you are short on time or just want to focus on the filling store bought is perfect.
For other Pie Recipes check out:
Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 2/3 Cup Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Stick Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Ice Water
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/4 Cup Butter melted
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Syrup corn syrup, glucose syrup , golden syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups Pecans roughly chopped
- Add the flour, salt and sugar if using to a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the mixing bowl. Use clean dry hands to rub the butter into the flour until the pieces of butter are no larger than a pea.
- Spoon in a few tablespoons of ice water and mix the pastry with a knife. Form the dough into a ball and knead for 30 seconds on a floured surface until smooth.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar, syrup, vanilla and mixed spice.
- Crack one egg into the bowl with the other ingredients and mix to combine. Continue with the next two. Adding one egg separately helps to loosen the batter making the next two eggs easier to incorporate.
- Roll out your pie crust to 1/2 cm or 1/4" thick. Place the dough into a 9" pie dish and cut off any excess. Use your thumbs and finger or just a fork to decorate the edge of pie crust.
- Pour the roughly chopped pecans into the pie dish, followed by the pie filling.
- Bake the pecan pie in a 180C / 350F oven for 50-60 minutes or until it only slightly jiggles in the center. Leave the pie to cool completely at room temperature before transferring to the fridge overnight.
- To serve the pie cut slices and top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.