This Pumpkin Pie Recipe is rich, smooth, and bursting with flavor! It’s so simple and easy to make, and is perfect with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Delicious Pumpkin Pie
Homemade Pumpkin Pie or really any kind of pie is the ultimate dessert and comfort food, perfect for sharing. You can either make it easy with store bought pie dough or use my pie dough recipe. Plus its perfect for making a head of time and just pulling out the fridge just before serving.
If you haven’t tried Pumpkin Pie before or really anything Pumpkin or pumpkin spiced flavored you really need to. My no bake Pumpkin Cheesecake and my Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are just a few of my favorite recipes that use pumpkin, its such a delicious flavor that feels so warm and comforting.
Pumpkin PIe Recipe Ingredients
- You can either use store bought pie dough or make your own. To make your own pie dough you will need flour, salt, butter and ice water – easy simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
1 Cup / 200g Sugar
- Sugar will sweeten the pumpkin pie filling. This recipe calls for white sugar but for a more caramel flavor to the pie brown sugar can be used instead.
1 tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Ground Ginger
½ tsp Salt
- Always add a small amount of salt to your baked goods to balance out the flavours.
- 2 Eggs give the perfect set, but still custardy texture to the pumpkin pie.
2 Cups / 410g Pumpkin Puree
- To be 100% honest canned is the best here. You can make your own by roasting and pureeing pumpkin but the smoothness and consistency of canned pumpkin puree comes out on top.
1⅓ Cups / 330ml Evaporated Milk
- Evaporated milk can be substituted with cream or half and half.
Whipped Cream and Cinnamon for serving
Watch the video below for step by step instructions for how to make the most delicious Pumpkin Pie
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie
If you are making your own pie dough in a medium sized mixing bowl measure out the flour and salt.
Take the butter out of the fridge and cut it into small cubes, this makes it easier to combine with the flour.
Add the cold butter to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and using your finger tips press the butter into the flour. Continue this process until there is only about pea sized pieces of butter.
Pour the ice water into the mixing bowl and use a butter knife to mix the ingredients together. Using your hands press the mixture together to form a ball. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest.
Roll the dough out to about 1/8″ or 1/2 cm thick. You may need to give it a few minutes to warm up from the fridge.
Place the rolled out dough in a 9″ or 23cm pie dish and cut off any excess. Use your thumbs and finger to pinch the edges of the dough around the pie. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the pumpkin pie filling in a medium sized mixing bowl measure out the sugar and salt. Brown sugar can be used here if you would like a more caramel flavor to the pumpkin pie.
Add in the spices, the ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Alternatively you can use pumpkin pie spice instead.
Crack in the two eggs and mix until everything in combined.
Finally add in the canned pumpkin and evaporated milk. Use a whisk to combine the pie filling ingredients together until completely smooth.
Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the chilled pie dish and place into a 230C / 450F oven on the bottom rack and immediately turn the temperature down to 170C / 325F. Bake the pie for about 50 minutes to an hour or until the pastry has browned and the pumpkin filling only slightly jiggles in the center when shaken.
Cool the Pumpkin Pie completely before serving.
Common Questions about this Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Do I have to use canned pumpkin?
You don’t have to but it is easier. If you would like to use homemade pumpkin puree there are a few extra steps needed. Start off with your pumpkin and roast it in the oven until soft, leave it to cool completely before pureeing until smooth. Use paper towels or a clean tea towel to squeeze out as much moisture from the pureed pumpkin as possible.
Can I make this pie in advance?
Yes, this pumpkin pie is perfect to be made in advance! Cover the completed pie with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and place in the fridge for up to three days. This is also the perfect way to store any leftover pie.
Why does my Pumpkin Pie crack in the center?
This is usually from over cooking the pie. Check on it closely after 50 minutes, give the pie a shake and if the center slightly wobbles its ready to be removed from the oven. The pie will continue to firm up and set as it cools.
For more Pumpkin Recipes check out:
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Sticks Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Ice Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Eggs
- 15 oz Canned Pumpkin Puree see notes
- 1 1/3 Cup Evaporated Milk see notes
- Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the bowl. Use clean dry hands to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles sand and the butter is no larger than the size of a pea.
- Spoon in the ice water and use a butter knife to combine the ingredients together. Pour the pie dough out onto the work top and form into a ball. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled pie dough out to 1/8" or 1/2 cm thick and place in a 8" or 20cm pie dish. Cut off the excess pastry and using your thumbs and finger pinch the edges of the dough. Place into the fridge until ready to use.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- In a clean bowl add the sugar, salt, spices and eggs. Whisk to combine until there are no longer any lumps.Add the pumpkin puree and evaporated milk and whisk until you are left with a smooth and creamy custard
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and pour in the pumpkin pie filling. Place into a 230C / 450F oven on the bottom rack and immediately turn the the temperature down to 170C / 325F. Bake for about 50 minutes to one hour or until the center of the pie only slightly jiggles when shaken.
- Cool the pie completely at room temperature. Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.