In a rush to make dinner and have no inspiration? This one pot pasta is full of fresh ingredients, cooks entirely in one pot and is done in under 15 minutes. So easy and delicious for a weeknight meal.
Weeknight One Pot Pasta
You wont find any meal quicker than a one pot pasta. Its fresh fresh, full of flavor and ridiculously easy to make. This dish is everything you want in a weeknight meal, minimal prep time, minimal ingredients, minimal effort.
One Pot Pasta become ‘trendy’ again in 2013 after appearing on Martha Stewart but years before that they appeared in quite a few old cook books. Although not strictly Italian, still a delicious pasta recipe.
One Pot Pasta Variants
This dish is perfect for so many different variants depending on what you have in your fridge. Cherry Tomatoes and basil is great if you have them on hand but if not frozen spinach, tinned tomatoes and chorizo works perfectly in a pinch.
One Pot Pasta Recipe Ingredients
½ lb | 200g Spaghetti
- This recipes makes enough for two but double the ingredients for 4. I usually use spaghetti but this can be made with a number of different pasta shapes.
Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- Drained canned tomatoes can be used instead if cherry tomatoes aren’t in season or you don’t have them on hand.
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Handful Basil Leaves
- Basil adds a delicious brightness to the dish.
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
2 Cups | 500ml Water
Salt + Pepper
- Parmesan adds delicious flavor to the dish at the end. To make this pasta dish vegan replace the parmesan with a vegan cheese or leave it out.
Watch the video below for step by step instructions for how to make the most delicious One Pot Pasta Recipe!
How to Make One Pot Pasta
In a large cast iron dutch oven or high sided fry pan add the spaghetti or any other shape of pasta you have chosen.
Slice half an onion finely so it is able to cook down in the sauce while the pasta boils.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the fry pan with the pasta and onion.
Using a garlic press or a knife, crush or cut the garlic finely.
Tear the basil up into smaller pieces and add to the pan. Tearing works so much better than cutting so the bail doesn’t bruise.
Pour in the oil and balsamic vinegar. The oil stops the pasta sticking together as it cooks while also adding depth to the sauce, the balsamic adds perfect flavor!
Measure out two cups of water and add to the pan. Place over medium heat.
Cook the pasta over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the pasta is al dente and the sauce has thickened.
Serve in two bowls, topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Equipment needed for this One Pot Pasta Recipe
- Make sure your pot or pan is large enough to fit the pasta and water without boiling over. My favorite is a stainless steel large frypan.
- A great quality Chefs Knife is an important kitchen tool. I recommend investing in one that will last you years!
Common Questions about this One Pot Pasta Recipe
Does the pasta turn gummy?
No it doesn’t, as long as you don’t over cook it and remove it from the heat when it is al dente this one pot pasta recipes turns out perfect!
Can I make this in advance?
Yes you can, just reheat when you are ready to eat. I would recommend undercooking the pasta slightly so it will finish off cooking when you reheat.
Can I use other ingredients in this dish?
There are endless possibilities with ingredients that can be used in this dish. Use whatever you have in your fridge or pantry or anything you would like to use. Sliced precooked chicken, chorizo, peppers, and frozen spinach all work really well.
For more Pasta recipes check out:
One Pot Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 lb Spaghetti
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Punnet Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Cup Basil Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Cups Water
- Salt + Pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- Place the spaghetti in the middle of a heavy based large frypan.
- Slice the onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes. Place into the frypan along with the basil leaves. Pour in the oil, balsamic vinegar and water.
- Place the frypan over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pasta is al dente and the sauce has thickened.
- Divide between two bowls, top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil and serve.