Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food, and this recipe is creamy, cheesy and delicious. Great as a side dish or just a bowl straight on it’s own.
Equipment for this Recipe
- ½ Stick / ¼ Cup / 60g Butter
- ¼ Cup / 30g Flour
- 4 Cups | 1 Litre Milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 9oz / 2 Cups / 250g Chedder Cheese
- 9oz / 2 Cups / 250g Mozzarella
- 1lb / 500g Pasta
- ¼ Cup Bread Crumbs
- Place a saucepan of water over high heat, season with salt, and bring to the boil.
- Place the butter in a medium sized saucepan and place over medium heat. When the butter has melted add in the flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Gradually add the milk, a small amount at a time, and stir well until fully incorporated. Cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2 minutes less than the package directions.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the salt, nutmeg and dijon. Slowly add the cheese, reserving a third of the mozzarella for topping the mac and cheese.
- Drain the pasta and pour in the cheese sauce. Mix to combine and pour into an oven dish. Top with the bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Place the mac and cheese into a 180/350 oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbling and browned.
Other cheeses can be substituted, just make sure to have a flavourful cheese and one that is best for melting.