Crispy buttermilk fried chicken, drizzled with honey butter in a toasted brioche bun with crispy lettuce, burger sauce and of course pickles. Mouthwateringly delicious and I’m going to share with you exactly how to make it.
Equipment for this Recipe
- 4 Chicken Thighs, Boneless
- ½ Cup / 125ml Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1½ Cups / 190g Flour
- 2 tsp White Pepper
- ½ tsp Chilli Flakes (optional)
- 3 tsp Paprika
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- Oil for Frying
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ¼ Honey
- 4 Brioche Buns
- Lettuce, Pickles, Sauce
- In a small bowl combine the chicken thighs, buttermilk and hot sauce if using. Cover and place in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, pepper, chilli flakes, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Drain each piece of chicken and dredge it in the flour mixture until completely coated.
- Heat a large dutch oven or saucepan filled ⅔ full with a flavourless oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot fry the chicken in batches, 2 at a time for about 5 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Adjust the heat as needed if the chicken is gaining too much colour or not enough.
- While the chicken is frying in a small saucepan add the butter and honey. Heat over medium heat until melted and combined. Pour the honey butter into a small bowl and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before using.
- To make the sandwiches toast the brioche buns. Add a few tablespoons of your favourite sauce and top with a piece of the buttermilk fried chicken. Drizzle over a tablespoon of the honey butter and top with shredded iceberg lettuce, pickles and the top of the burger bun.
You can substitute buttermilk with natural unsweetened yoghurt or milk with ½ tsp of lemon juice or vinegar.