White bread is something that you can easily bake yourself, and in my opinion theres nothing much better than fresh bread that fills your home with the wonderful aroma.
Equipment for this Recipe
- 1½ tsp / ¾ Packet Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ Cup / 190ml Warm Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2½ Cups / 300g Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp / 15g Butter
- Mix together the yeast, warm water and half of the sugar in a small bowl. Leave for 10-15 minutes to activate.
- Measure out the flour, salt, and remaining sugar in a large bowl. When the yeast has activated pour the mixture into the bowl mix the dough to combine. Add in the butter.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave in a warm place for about an hour until doubled in volume.
- Punch the dough back, shape it into a log and place it in a lightly greased loaf pan. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 45 minutes until doubled in volume.
- Place the loaf into a 200C/400F oven for 25 minutes. Once baked, remove the dough immediately from the pan onto a cooling rack to stop it from sweating.
- Leave to cool completely before slicing.
For a deeper shinier crust brush it will melted butter or an egg wash.
The bread should sound hollow when tapped after baking.
For best results bake in a 7inch or 18cm loaf pan. For a larger pan, double the recipe.