Grilled skewers of Indonesian style marinated chicken dipped in a fragrant flavourful peanut sauce, the perfect Satay Chicken recipe. Serve it as is for an appetizer or add some rice and an asian coleslaw for a main meal.
- 6 Chicken Thighs, boneless skinless
- 4 Tablespoons Kecap Manis
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Kecap Manis
- 1 Lime, juiced
- ⅓ Cup Peanuts, crushed
- In a medium sized bowl add the kecap manis, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix together with a fork until combined.
- Slice the chicken thighs into large strips and add to the bowl with the marinade. Toss the chicken in the marinade until fully coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight or for a few hours.
- After marinating thread the chicken onto skewers.
- Peel the onion and chop into pieces. Place into a mini food processor along with a deseeded chilli and the garlic. Pulse a few times until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion, chilli and garlic for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle pan over medium high heat. Place the chicken skewers into the griddle pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and coconut milk to the saucepan and stir until the sauce has come together. Add the kecap manis and remove from the heat to cool.
- Turn the chicken skewers over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the juice of a lime and the crushed peanuts to the sauce.
- Remove the skewers from the griddle pan and pour the peanut sauce into a bowl and serve.
If you don't like the heat leave the chilli out.
The sauce will thicken as it cools but if you prefer a super thick sauce just add less coconut milk.