This Cranberry and Pecan cheeseball is the perfect addition to your holiday table this year. It’s so easy to make in advance and just pull out of the fridge when you’re ready to serve.
Watch the video below for how to make this Cranberry and Pecan Cheeseball Recipe
The best Cheeseball Recipe
Easy and quick to make, this cheeseball will become your new favorite appetizer.
It’s super creamy and delicious while also being full of flavor and texture from the cranberries and pecans.
Serve with crackers and mix of other cheeses, cold meats and fruit.
What is a Cheeseball?
The name says it all really, a mix of cheeses rolled into a ball!
This recipe is made with a mix of cream cheese, sour cream and cheddar cheese as the base.
Garlic powder, cranberries, pecans and chives to add flavor as well as texture.
When it comes to a cheeseball recipe it’s more about the technique of making it rather than a proper recipe as so many of the ingredients can be changed and substituted.
Cranberry and Pecan Cheeseball Recipe Ingredients
1/2 Cup / 50g Pecans – Walnuts or Almonds can be substituted here or a mixture of all three. The recipe calls for toasting the pecan which help to bring out the flavor but if you don’t have time this step can be skipped.
9oz / 250g Cream Cheese – Make sure to use a block of cream cheese, light or spreadable wont work for this recipe.
1/4 Cup / 60g Sour Cream – Sour cream adds some tang to the cheese ball while also some softness.
1 Cup / 85g Cheddar Cheese – Another type or a mixture of cheese can be used here. Stay away from cheese like mozzarella and go for something with more flavor.
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder – Cheese and garlic is one of the best combinations but don’t use too much here.
1 Cup / 120g Dried Cranberries – Cranberries give the perfect holiday flavor. Alternatively dried apricots can be used or any other type of dried fruit you would like.
2 Tbsp Chives – Chives add some great greenery to the cheeseball.
How to make a Cranberry and Pecan Cheeseball
Roughly chop the pecans so you have a mixture of larger pieces and smaller pieces to create some texture.
Place the pecans onto a baking sheet and place into a 200C / 400F oven from 5-10 minutes or until fragrant.
Remove from the oven and place into a small bowl to cool.
In a medium sized mixing bowl add the cream cheese. Give it a mix to soften.
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature or you’ll have a very hard time combining the ingredients.
Add the sour cream, the cheddar cheese or the other types of cheeses if you are using and garlic powder.
Mix everything together until combined. Set the bowl to the side.
Take the bowl of cooled pecan and add in the half cup of dried cranberries.
Give these a quick toss together until combined.
Pour half of the pecan and cranberry mixture into the bowl with the cheese save the rest for later.
Give this a quick fold through until combined.
Pour the cheeseball mixture out onto plastic wrap or cooking paper.
Bring up the sides and fold over tightly to make a ball shape.
Place the cheeseball into the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to set.
Remove the Cheeseball from the fridge and press into shape.
Pour the leftover cranberry and pecan mixture out onto a plate with the chives.
Unwrap the cheeseball and roll it around the plate, pressing the coating in. Serve now or keep it in the fridge for a few hours.
Common Questions about this Cranberry and Pecan Cheeseball Recipe
What can I use instead of Pecans?
Any other type of nut can be used. A few favorites of mine would be walnuts and almonds or a mixture of all three. The best thing about cheeseballs are all the ingredients are easily changed and substituted!
What other ingredients could I use in the Cheeseball?
Bacon, dried apricots, pickles, caramelised onion, herbs – really the options are endless!
Can I make this Cheeseball Recipe in advance?
Yes! Thats honestly one of the best things about cheeseballs. Make it up to a few days in advance and just keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve. It’s best served about room temperature so may need to give it about 30 minutes to warm up.
For Other Christmas Recipes Check Out:
Cranberry and Pecan Cheeseball Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Pecans
- 9 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp Chives chopped
- Roughly chop the pecans. We want smaller and larger pieces to create texture. Place onto a baking sheet and toast in a 200C / 400F oven for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from the oven and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the cream cheese. Mix with a wooden spoon for a minute or two to soften. Add the sour cream, cheddar cheese and garlic powder. Fold together until combined. Set the bowl to the side.
- Add the cranberries to the bowl with the pecans and toss together. Pour half of the mixture into the bowl with the cheese and save the rest for later. Fold together until combined.
- Pour the cheeseball mixture out onto a length of plastic wrap or cooking paper. Bring up the sides to tightly wrap the mixture and shape into a ball. Place into the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to set.
- Remove the cheeseball from the fridge and press into the correct shape. Pour the remaining cranberry and pecan mixture onto a plate and add the chives. Unwrap the cheeseball and roll around on the plate, pressing the coating in.
- Serve now or keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve.