These chocolate cupcakes are filled with salted caramel sauce, topped with salted caramel buttercream, drizzled with salted caramel sauce and sprinkled with flaky sea salt. The ultimate cupcake!
It’s easy to make your own salted caramel sauce if you want to (get the recipe here) or you can just buy some from the store to make these cupcakes even easier!
For a full video tutorial of how to make these chocolate salted caramel cupcakes watch the video below.
Click here for the salted caramel sauce recipe.
- 1 Cup | 125g All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup | 50g Cocoa Powder
- ¾ Cup | 170g Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup | 113g Butter
- ½ Cup | 125ml Milk
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 Cup | 250g Butter
- 3 Cups | 375g Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar | Confectioners Sugar)
- ⅓ Cup Salted Caramel Sauce
- Flaky Sea Salt
- In a large mixing bowl measure out the dry ingredients. Use a whisk or wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Measure out the butter and melt in the microwave or on the stove top. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and eggs to the bowl with the melted butter and whisk with a fork until evenly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until just combined.
- Divide the cupcake batter between 12 cupcake liners and place into a 180C | 350F oven for 20 minutes or until the tops spring back when pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for 5 minutes until it is pale in colour and doubled in volume.
- Add the icing sugar in thirds, scraping down the bowl each time so everything is evenly combined.
- Add ⅓ of a cup of salted caramel sauce to the buttercream and beat until for another minute or so until combined. If the buttercream is too thick add a few tablespoons of milk.
- Cut a small hole in each cupcake and fill with the remaining caramel sauce. Pipe a generous amount of salted caramel buttercream. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Thursday 12th of January 2023
Thank you for this wonderful recipe! It tasted amazing. Just a heads up: the links to your caramel sauce recipe does not work anymore :)
Monday 14th of February 2022
Do you use salted butter?
Monday 25th of October 2021
Really delicious cupcakes! I usually prefer oil based cupcakes but these ones are so good. I’ll definitely make these again ☺️
Thursday 2nd of September 2021
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated data, nevertheless seriously really worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 understand about Mid East has got extra problerms as well.
Friday 7th of May 2021
These are amazing!! One comment, don’t stir the caramel as it cooks. Taste as good as they look!