This red velvet cake has the softest most perfect texture. Hints of chocolate and vanilla, it pairs perfectly with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Red velvet cake is in a category of it’s own, it isn’t vanilla cake nor is it chocolate. It doesn’t have the same texture either, it’s soft, and almost velvety like the name suggests as well as having the smallest hint of tanginess from the buttermilk. There is a reason why this cake is so popular, you have to try it!
For a full tutorial for how to make this Red Velvet Cake watch the video below.
- Makes 1 Cake
- ¾ Cup | 170g Butter
- 1 Cup | 200g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Food Colouring | 1 Teaspoon Gel Food Colouring
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1⅓ Cup | 160g Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Cup | 125ml Butter Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vinegar
- ½ Cup | 115g Butter
- 6 oz | 170g Cream Cheese
- 3 Cups | 375g Icing Sugar | Powdered Sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Crack in the eggs one at a time, mixing in between until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and food colouring a mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl mix together the buttermilk and vinegar. Set to the side.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into mixing bowl and pour over the buttermilk and vinegar mixture. Fold together until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a 7 inch | 20cm cake tin and bake in a 180C | 350F oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- To make the frosting or icing place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl if you are using a hand mixer and beat together for 5 minutes.
- When the butter and cream cheese is light, fluffy and whipped add the sugar, a cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Use bread knife to level off the cake and decorate with the frosting.
If you do not have any buttermilk substitute with regular milk and double the vinegar to 2 teaspoons.
Place the frosting into the fridge for 30-40mins to thicken before using.