This is an easy and simple but delicious midweek meal that has beautiful flavours! I’ve chosen to make these koftas a bit special by including FreshLife Pistachios and Ground Almonds in the mixture – it gives them a tasty nutty flavour and great texture. Pistachios have a lovely sweetness and give great crunch, while the Ground Almonds help keep the koftas nice and moist. Both are a source of healthy protein, too – bonus!
- ½ Medium Onion
- ¼ Cup Chopped FreshLife Pistachio Kernels
- ¼ Cup FreshLife Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Salt
- 500g / 1lb Lamb Mince or Beef Mince
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 Bag Baby Spinach
- ½ Red Onion
- ¼ Cup FreshLife Whole Cranberries (or you can used Sliced if you don’t have Whole)
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 4 Pita Breads
- ¼ Cup Greek Yoghurt
- Extra FreshLife Pistachios for sprinkling on top
- Make the koftas by combining the onion, pistachios, ground almonds, cumin, chilli flakes, minced garlic clove, salt and lamb mince. Roll out into oval shaped meatballs.
- Heat a heavy based pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Cook the koftas on each side for 4-5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- While the Koftas are cooking make the salad. In a large bowl combine the spinach, red onion and cranberries. Add in the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss the salad well.
- Warm the pita bread up in the oven or a baking tray for 5-10 minutes at 180/350.
- To serve the koftas, top the pita bread with the salad, 2 of the lamb and pistachio koftas and a drizzle of greek yoghurt. Top with a few chopped pistachios for some texture and enjoy.
Thanks to FreshLife for sponsoring this recipe. They have a delicious range of nuts, seeds and dried fruit – awesome for adding texture and flavour to your recipes, no matter what you’re making. The range is available from the baking aisle in Countdown and selected New World stores.