Lasagna is one of those favourites that everyone seems to love. Layers of pasta, creamy ricotta cheese, and meat sauce – you can’t really go wrong.
Beef Lasagna Recipe
Layers of pasta, creamy ricotta cheese, and meat sauce.
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 500g | 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ⅓ Cup Tomoto Paste
- 2 400g | 14 oz Tins of Crushed Tomatoes
- 250g | 9oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ Cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- Lasagne Sheets
- 1 Cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Finely dice the onion and cook for a few minutes over medium heat in a heavy based frypan with the tablespoon of oil.
- Crush the garlic cloves using a garlic press and add to the frypan and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the frypan, breaking it up into pieces with a woodenspoon and cook over high heat until browned.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the oregano.
- Add the tomato paste and tinned tomatoes to the frypan and mix to combine. Simmer the sauce over low heat for minimum of 30 minutes but ideally 3-4 hours.
- To make the ricotta cheese part of the lasagna, add the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese, salt and nutmeg to a small bowl and mix to combine. Set to the side.
- To assemble the lasagne add half of a cup of meat sauce to a 25x20cm or 10x8 inch baking dish.
- Cover the meat sauce with lasagne sheets then ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture, ¼ of the mozzarella cheese, and a cup of meat sauce. Continue this process 3 times for 3 complete layers.
- For the final layer add lasagne sheets to cover, add the remaining meat sauce and spread out evenly and top with the remaining ¼ of the mozzarella
- Bake the lasagna in a 180C | 350F oven for 40-50 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.